Friday, October 14, 2011

IT News Head Lines (Tech Report) 14/10/2011





Corsair's Carbide 400R mid-tower chassis
In the PC enthusiast realm, Corsair is a brand that needs no introduction. After establishing itself as a go-to source for quality computer memory, this plucky bunch from Fremont, California dropped a bomb on the computer enclosure world in the form of the Obsidian 800D. We loved the case's new innovations and attention to detail, and the freshman effort quickly became a favorite among PC enthusiasts with a penchant for full-sized towers.
The nearly $300 price tag attached to the 800D allowed the competition some breathing room, but over time, Corsair has methodically cut off the air supply at lower price points with follow-up cases like ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Asus, Acer ultrabooks pop up on Amazon, Newegg
Ultrabooks are ripe and ready for the picking. After doing a little digging on Amazon and Newegg, we've found listings for not just Acer's freshly announced Aspire S3, but also two of Asus' Zenbooks—all in stock.
The Aspire S3 is selling for $899.99 at Newegg . That's the same configuration Acer announced on Monday, with ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Lenovo outshined Dell globally last quarter
Wow, what's happening to U.S.-based PC vendors? As HP's PC business lies on the chopping board, Gartner reports that Lenovo outshipped Dell last quarter, stealing the number-two spot and knocking Dell to third place worldwide. Check out the research firm's preliminary share numbers for the global market:
Dell suffered even greater decline in shipments back home, although it managed to ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Pining for the metaphorical fjords
Today is Wednesday, October 12, 2011. The day iOS 5 is released upon the Apple faithful—a group still smarting from the passing of Steve Jobs just seven days prior. Will I upgrade my stalwart 3GS to the Siri-fied new operating system? Well, not if my main goal is to get Siri, since it laughs at my device and its ancient, 2009 internals. ("Siri, where can I find a good burger near this location?" "I sense you have no A5, so shut up and go fix me a turkey pot pie!") The issue is whether I want to forgo, for now, my jailbroken goodies in exchange for iOS 5 shininess. Granted, a workable jailbreak method will probably be available before I'm even done writing this column, but I want to know Infinifolders is just a restore away before I go down the road less traveled yet again. Which I suppose makes it rather well traveled. Hmm.
Why? Because iPhones ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Deal of the week, early edition: Battlefield 3 for $41.99
No, that's not a typo. I don't know how Amazon pulled this stunt off, but they're letting you pre-order the Limited Edition of Battlefield 3, in downloadable form, for only $41.99 right now. That's $18 off the regular, $59.99 asking price, which is what EA currently charges on its Origin service.
The Limited Edition of the game includes a free ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Poll: What do you think of Bulldozer?
In case you haven't noticed, Bulldozer is out. Our review of the first desktop implementations of AMD's all-new microarchitecture isn't terribly positive. Finding a silver lining among the mountain of performance, power efficiency, overclocking, and value data we collected sure is tough.
We're curious to see what you think of the chip, so we've made it the subject of our latest poll. ...
Read more...





Read More ...




Tribes Ascend beta starts November 4
What if I was to tell you that, early next year, you'll be able to pick up the multiplayer successor to Tribes 2 for exactly zero dollars? Now would that be something you might be interested in? I thought so. The free-to-play Tribes Ascend shooter being developed by Hi-Rez Studios has garnered a lot of attention lately, and the snippets of gameplay we've seen sure look promising.
The game was originally scheduled to be released this fall, but it looks like that's been pushed back to the first quarter of 2012. As a consolation, Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports that a closed beta will begin on November 4 ...
Read more...





Read More ...






Available Tags:Acer , Lenovo , Dell ,

No comments: