Friday, January 30, 2015

IT News Head Lines (Yahoo News) 1/31/2015





Mitt Romney says he will not make 2016 White House bid
In this Jan. 28, 2015 file photo, former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney speaks at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss. Closing in on a decision about whether to again run for president, Mitt Romney is finding that several past major fundraisers and donors in key states have defected to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. The donors, in interviews with The Associated Press, said they see in Bush what they liked about Romney in 2012, namely what they believe it takes to serve successfully as president, but also something he could not muster in his two previous campaigns: what it takes, both in personality as a candidate and in a supporting staff, to win the White House for the GOP. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)The 2012 GOP nominee announced he won't make a third bid for the presidency.



Read More ...




Dartmouth College bans hard liquor
On Thursday, school President Philip Hanlon announced that starting March 30, all students, regardless of age, will be prohibited from possessing hard alcohol on campus. The school’s Greek societies have also been warned that they need to improve their behavior or risk being banned. The White House says the behavior has led to an “epidemic” of sexual assault on school campuses. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries and 97,000 students are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.

Read More ...




Florida prosecutor drops case against Zimmerman
George Zimmerman listens to judge during a first-appearance hearing in Sanford, FloridaBy Barbara Liston ORLANDO, Fla. (Reuters) - A Florida prosecutor announced on Friday he will not pursue an aggravated assault charge against former neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman stemming from a domestic incident earlier this month after the alleged victim recanted. Zimmerman, who was acquitted in 2013 in a fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager, has had several brushes with the law since his trial. His latest arrest on Jan. 9 in central Florida was in connection with a domestic disturbance involving his then-girlfriend who had accused him of throwing a wine bottle at her and smashing her cell phone during an argument. Zimmerman claimed he acted in self-defense when he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, 17, in February 2012, when he was patrolling as a neighborhood watch volunteer.



Read More ...




'Suge' Knight arrested for murder
'Suge' Knight faces murder charges



Read More ...




Jordan awaits proof hostage is alive after swap deadline
Japanese hostage Kenji Goto holds a photograph allegedly showing Jordanian pilot Maaz al-Kassasbeh, who was captured by Islamic State in Syria, in a video uploaded on YouTube on January 27, 2015Families of a Japanese journalist and Jordanian military pilot remained in limbo.



Read More ...




Is Mitt Romney running for president?
In this Jan. 28, 2015 file photo, former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney speaks at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss. Closing in on a decision about whether to again run for president, Mitt Romney is finding that several past major fundraisers and donors in key states have defected to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. The donors, in interviews with The Associated Press, said they see in Bush what they liked about Romney in 2012, namely what they believe it takes to serve successfully as president, but also something he could not muster in his two previous campaigns: what it takes, both in personality as a candidate and in a supporting staff, to win the White House for the GOP. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)Romney will update supporters today about his plans for 2016.



Read More ...




Obama calls for spending surge, buoyed by rising economy
President Barack Obama waves during his arrival on Air Force One at Philadelphia International Airport, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015, in Philadelphia. Obama traveled to Philadelphia and speak at the House Democratic Issues Conference. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)WASHINGTON (AP) — Declaring an end to "mindless austerity," President Barack Obama called for a surge in government spending Thursday, and asked Congress to throw out the sweeping budget cuts both parties agreed to four years ago when deficits were spiraling out of control.



Read More ...




Suge Knight arrested on murder charge
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) — Marion "Suge" Knight, the former music mogul who created one of hip-hop's leading labels and became the impresario of gangster rap, was arrested early Friday on suspicion of hitting and killing a man with his truck and then fleeing the crash near Los Angeles.



Read More ...




U.S. government releases draft plan for electronic health data
President Obama Speaks At The Nat'l Institute Of Health On Fight Against EbolaThe Obama administration on Friday proposed a plan to move most doctors, hospitals and their patients to national standards for handling electronic clinical data by the end of 2017. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), as part of an effort to propel the $2.9 trillion U.S. healthcare system away from a costly fee-for-service system, released a report draft aimed at establishing an inter operable health information technology system that can be accessed by patients and their healthcare providers. Policy experts say that national health IT standards would lead to transparency in medical data, prices and provider performance, while helping support hospitals and medical practices in pursuing care-delivery models that emphasize care quality and savings over quantity. Earlier this week, Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell announced the goal of moving 50 percent of fee-for-service Medicare payments to quality-care focused providers by the end of 2018.



Read More ...




Mother of NYC boy who vanished in 1979 to testify at murder trial
Julie Patz, mother of Etan Patz, walks from her family home in New YorkBy Natasja Sheriff NEW YORK (Reuters) - The mother of Etan Patz, a boy whose disappearance from a New York City street in 1979 ignited a national movement to find missing children, will tell jurors at his accused killer's trial about the "nightmare that never ended," a prosecutor said on Friday. In opening statements in the kidnapping and murder trial of Pedro Hernandez, Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon said the former deli worker who confessed to the crime had upended an average American family's life and sent it spiraling into unthinkable tragedy. "You will hear from Julie Patz... about her quite ordinary life, a regular American tale, interrupted by a nightmare that never ended," Illuzzi-Orbon told jurors seated before Judge Maxwell Wiley in state Supreme Court in Manhattan. During jury selection, Illuzzi-Orbon said the case would not feature "high tech forensic evidence," but would take them back 35 years "to a time when the Brady Bunch was still on TV."  Patz' disappearance prompted President Ronald Reagan to sign into law the Missing Children’s Assistance Act, and Patz was one of the first missing children whose picture appeared on a milk carton.     In 2012, investigators received a tip from Hernandez's brother-in-law, who told police Hernandez allegedly confessed to the crime to a church prayer group in the 1980s.   Hernandez, in a videotaped confession to police, said he lured Patz to the basement of the deli where he worked near the child's home, strangled him and dumped him in an alley.



Read More ...




Keystone XL bill passes in Senate, faces Obama veto
Senators Schumer and Stabenow respond to Republicans at a Democrat response news conference after vote on amendments on the Keystone XL pipeline bill in WashingtonThe U.S. Senate passed a bill on Thursday to approve the long-pending Keystone XL oil pipeline, despite the White House saying earlier in the day that President Barack Obama would veto the measure. The Republican-led Senate passed the bill that would approve TransCanada Corp's project to carry 800,000 barrels per day of heavy Canadian crude to Nebraska on the way to Gulf Coast refineries and ports. The House has passed its own pipeline bill and will work with the Senate to send the bill to the Obama's desk. After the potential veto, Obama is expected to make his own decision on the pipeline after the State Department finishes a review in coming weeks.



Read More ...




'Peace between us,' Raul Castro says of U.S. ties
Cuban President Raul Castro applauds during the closing session of the III CELAC Summit 2015 in the Pedregal building, northwest of San Jose, on January 29, 2015Cuban President Raul Castro gave an endorsement to peace between the United States and his communist country, with the two nations in talks to restore ties after decades of animosity. Asked by a journalist at a summit of Latin American and Caribbean states what he would most like to see after the US economic embargo of Cuba is lifted, Castro barked: "Peace, peace between us, peace between the United States and us. Castro first said he would have to consider the question because the end of the economic embargo may be a long way away. US and Cuban diplomats met last week in Havana in landmark talks aimed at renewing ties that broke off in 1961.



Read More ...




Texas lawmaker under fire for divisive Facebook post
The Texas and Israeli flags are waved by protesters who gathered to disrupt and heckle a group gathered for a Texas Muslim Capitol Day rally, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015, in Austin, Texas. Hundreds of Muslims gathered for the rally as part of their biennial Texas Capitol lobbying day. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A newly-elected Texas state lawmaker is under fire for a divisive Facebook post asking Muslim visitors to an event at the state capitol in Austin to pledge allegiance to the United States.



Read More ...




Senate panel approves Iran sanctions bill
In this Jan. 27, 2015 file photo, Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J. speaks on Capitol Hill in Washington. A bill that would levy tough new sanctions on Iran if it fails to sign an agreement to curb its nuclear program cleared a Senate committee on Thursday. But lawmakers are holding off on a full Senate vote to see whether diplomatic negotiations yield a deal. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh, File)The measure would levy a tougher penalty on Tehran if it fails to curb its nuclear program.



Read More ...




Lindsey Graham to test 2016 Republican presidential waters
Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., questions Attorney General nominee Loretta Lynch on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, during the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearing on Lynch's nomination. If confirmed, Lynch would replace Attorney General Eric Holder, who announced his resignation in September after leading the Justice Department for six years. The 55-year-old federal prosecutor would be the nation’s first black female attorney general. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)By Steve Holland and Susan Cornwell WASHINGTON (Reuters) - South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham on Thursday formed a political organization to explore a potential run for his party's presidential nomination, the latest high-profile politician to test the 2016 waters. Graham would attempt to use his South Carolina home base to his advantage for any potential run, since the Southern state is typically the third to hold a nominating contest in presidential election years, after Iowa and New Hampshire. "What I'm looking at is, is there a pathway forward on the ground in Iowa and New Hampshire for a guy like me?



Read More ...




Gas blast at Mexico City children's hospital
147176659JM00031_MEXICANS_AAt least three people are dead and dozens are injured.



Read More ...




Boy Scouts settle California suit over abuse
Boy Scouts Ready For Move To Allow Gay Scouts From 2014The case involved a man who was molested by a Scout volunteer in 2007.



Read More ...




Islamic State purportedly sets new deadline for hostage swap
A voice claiming to be a Japanese hostage relays the group's latest threat.



Read More ...




U.S. jobless claims plunge 14%
New claims for US unemployment insurance benefits plunged to the lowest level in nearly 15 years last week, the Labor Department reportsNew claims for US unemployment insurance benefits plunged to the lowest level in nearly 15 years last week, the Labor Department reported Thursday. Initial jobless claims, a sign of the pace of layoffs, dropped to a seasonally adjusted 265,000 in the week ending January 24, a hefty decline of 43,000 from the prior week's slightly upwardly revised level of 308,000. It was the lowest level for initial claims since mid-April 2000. The Labor Department said there was no particular factor influencing the week's claims data, which is often volatile.



Read More ...




Weekly Ebola cases below 100, WHO says endgame begins
The WHO logo is pictured at the entrance of its headquarters in GenevaBy Tom Miles and Stephanie Nebehay GENEVA (Reuters) - The number of new confirmed Ebola cases totaled 99 in the week to Jan. 25, the lowest tally since June 2014, the World Health Organization said on Thursday, signaling the tide might have turned against the epidemic. "The response to the EVD (Ebola virus disease) epidemic has now moved to a second phase, as the focus shifts from slowing transmission to ending the epidemic," the WHO said. "To achieve this goal as quickly as possible, efforts have moved from rapidly building infrastructure to ensuring that capacity for case finding, case management, safe burials, and community engagement is used as effectively as possible." The outbreak has killed 8,810 people out of 22,092 known cases, almost all of them in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. Cases and deaths have fallen rapidly in Liberia and Sierra Leone in the past few weeks, with just 20 deaths recorded in Liberia in the 21 days to Jan. 25.



Read More ...




Jeb and the myth of the Sister Souljah moment
Jeb Bush and Sister SouljahContrary to what people say, there’s really no such thing as a “Sister Souljah moment” unless a political candidate has spent a good bit of time making the argument that underlies it first.



Read More ...




Malaysia declares MH370 an 'accident', airline to proceed with compensation
The wife of a passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, holds a picture of her husband walking with Malaysia's Prime Minister Razak, at a news conference in PutrajayaMalaysia declared on Thursday the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 an accident, clearing the way for the airline to pay compensation to victims' relatives while the search for the plane goes on. "We officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident ... and that all 239 of the passengers and crew onboard MH370 are presumed to have lost their lives," Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said in a statement. The announcement is in accordance with standards of annexes 12 and 13 in the International Civil Aviation, said Azharuddin. It will allow families of the passengers to obtain assistance through compensation, he said.



Read More ...




AirAsia co-pilot at controls when plane crashed
The tail of AirAsia QZ8501 passenger plane is seen on the deck of the rescue ship Crest Onyx after it was lifted from the sea bed, south of Pangkalan Bun, Central KalimantanThe French co-pilot was at the controls of an AirAsia plane before it crashed into the sea last month after flying through an area of towering clouds, killing all 162 people on board, investigators said Thursday. The announcement came as fishermen found two more bodies from the crash in waters off Sulawesi island in central Indonesia, around 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) from where the plane crashed, a search and rescue official said. On Thursday, Indonesia's National Transportation Safety Committee, which has been analysing the plane's black boxes, said that prior to the crash, the aircraft had climbed fast in an area packed with huge storm clouds, and the stall alarms started going off. They also revealed that the Airbus A320-200's less experienced French co-pilot, Remi Plesel, was flying the plane before it went down, rather than Captain Iriyanto, a former fighter pilot who had around 20,000 hours of flying time.



Read More ...




Hillary Clinton agrees to testify on Benghazi, panel’s ranking Dem says
REUTERS NEWS PICTURES SERVICE - PICTURES OF THE YEAR 2013The former secretary of state has agreed to testify before the House select committee investigating the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack, the panel's Democratic ranking member says.



Read More ...




Bucking Obama, senior Democrat seeks limits on war against Islamic State
Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif.Saying that Congress must do its constitutional duty, a senior House of Representatives Democrat will introduce legislation on Wednesday that authorizes President Barack Obama's war on the so-called Islamic State but forbids sending U.S. ground troops into combat.



Read More ...




Hezbollah carried out deadly attack on Israeli convoy: source
Lebanese Hezbollah militants killed and wounded a number of Israeli soldiers in a "big operation" on Wednesday targeting an Israeli military convoy in a frontier area, a Lebanese political source said. The attack in the Israeli-occupied Shebaa Farms area was in response to an Israeli rocket attack in Syria, the source, who is familiar with details of the operation, said.



Read More ...






Available Tags:Facebook

No comments: